Nolan Wells Investigation Erupts as Mother Goes After Records Tied to Viral Boat Call and Revealing Text Messages Surface
Nolan Wells’ mother is seeking more answers about what happened to her son — and now she’s turning to the companies his friends called for help the day he disappeared from Horn Island.
Attorneys representing Wells’ estate filed two new subpoenas Thursday seeking records from Sea Tow Services International and Ward Marine Services, also known as Sea Tow South Mississippi, TMZ reported.
Christine Wonsley has been seeking answers since her 18-year-old son disappeared from the island on July 4. Wells’ body was found two days later. His official autopsy has been completed, but the results have not been publicly released. An independent autopsy commissioned by the family was ruled inconclusive.

The Subpoenas
The subpoena to Sea Tow seeks records connected to the July 4 incident from 2 p.m. to 8 p.m., including calls, recordings, dispatch records and documents identifying the people involved in responding to the emergency.
Wonsley is also seeking Sea Tow’s training materials and written procedures for responding to reports of boats taking on water or sinking.
The subpoena to Ward Marine Services also seeks calls and other communications connected to the incident, including dispatch communications and conversations involving the boat’s captain, local crew and people connected to the vessel.
Wonsley’s legal team has previously subpoenaed several major technology and social media companies — including Meta, Snapchat, TikTok, and Life360 — as part of its efforts to obtain information about Wells’ final hours.
A Concerning Call
The requests are significant because the call to Sea Tow has sparked intense online speculation.
During the recording, one of the teenagers on the boat tells the dispatcher that their bilge pump stopped working and the vessel was taking on water. The caller stated there were roughly seven people on board and initially assured the dispatcher that everyone was accounted for and in good health.
That call has become controversial because of claims about what can be heard in the background.
Black audio engineer, Netta Brantley, enhanced the boat audio and posted her findings on social media.
She told Atlanta Black Star she believes she heard phrases such as: “Can we cover it up?”, “Is he dead (yeah).”, and “Nolan, wake up.”
Tyler Cox and Edward Paltzik, attorneys representing three of the young men last seen with Wells, told CNN they believed people were editing the audio to fit a narrative and fuel online speculation.
“The Sea Tow call — and the hundreds of versions of it now circulating — is a red herring. It’s distracting people from what matters,” Paltzik said.
Private Texts
The new filings come as private text messages were revealed between Wonsley and Warren Hudson, one of Wells’ friends.
Hudson was one of the last people seen with Wells. Hudson claims he was the first person to report Wells missing and notify his parents.
In the messages, released by The Officer Tatum, Wonsley asks Hudson several questions, including what Wells was wearing and where his car was.
Hudson responds that Wells was wearing black shorts and that his car is at another friend’s house and gives her the location.
He also tells Wonsley he last saw Wells around 3 p.m. and that he is going to call the Coast Guard.
View on Threads
Hudson has maintained that the friends left the island around 4:30 p.m. because of issues they were having with the boat. He claims they asked Wells to get on the boat, but he wanted to stay on the island with a girl.
Wells’ parents have pushed back on that account, saying it is not in their son’s character to not leave with the people he came with.
They retained civil rights attorney Ben Crump to help them find answers.
The Jackson County Sheriff’s Office is still investigating the case. Evidence will be presented to a grand jury who will determine if criminal charges should be filed.
